Monday, April 2, 2007

sitting in the front row

It's the same every time you go to the movies. The make-out kids sit in the back row, the general population sits somewhere in the middle, and all the children sit at the very front. The reasoning behind why these groups sit where they do is an interesting topic.
The make-out kids can't afford a room. You now, if they had a chance they would be playing sweaty gland games with their partner. At least, this is the memory I have sealed in my brain.
The general population gravitates towards the middle because they want to be considered adult, and adults would not be caught in the back row. They have homes to conduct their skin-to-skin relations and sitting up front would be considered juvenile (and they are clearly not that, right?).
The smallest ones want to be be consumed by the movie. They want a picture so big, their little eyeballs cannot be move without more of the story being there. They are there to be part of the film. No matter where they look, it is an all-consuming experience.
This is where you will find me. Oh sure, I get side long glances, like I should be ashamed of even considering being there amongst the under three foot crowd. The reason are clear; when I go to a movie, I want to be able to completely suspend everyday life. I want to be able to wrap myself in the story being told. I want be there, sitting next to the characters as they celebrate, break down, and even die.

-nn

No comments: