Thursday, July 5, 2007

Goodbye Bally Fitness - Hello LA Fitness

My current club, Bally fitness, announced they are closing my current location. Out of consideration, they were tranferring my membership to another club a scant 4.2 miles away. Unfortunately, this does not work out for me. Since I picked the club for its close proximity to work (I jog over on my lunch break), adding another four plus miles to this distance is pushing well beyond the limits of my endurance and the time I have available.

What to do? Well, there is an LA Fitness across the street, simply add another 300 yards to the warm up run and you are in the door. Thinking back, I should have checked out this club when shopping around. Frankly, the key motivator was that Bally's was closer than LA Fitness. I know, it was only just across the street, but back then I never considered I would be able to run that far. I know different now.

Which brings me to my thought for the day. Would you like an exercise in futility? Try cancelling a gym membership. After having waded through the front line support of the Customer Support phone lines,and been promised call backs from supervisors and been "disconnected" and directed to incorrect voicemail boxes and promised action, I have yet to resolve this issue.

A company can be best judged by its actions by gauging responses made after the initial sale. I would be hard pressed to recommend Bally Fitness based on the performance of its personnel during this seires of communications.

-nn

No comments: