Tuesday, March 6, 2007

my new best friend

There are two of them actually. The first of which led me to the second.

Let's talk about "Stumble Upon". SU installs a clever little tool bar into you browser (most majors are supported). You complete a little profile information and click on the "Stumble!" button and you are presented with a site that may or may not match your preferences. As you are presented with more sites you can narrow the focus of you profile by using the "I Like It!" button (indicated by a thumbs up). Alternatively, you can "vote down" a site by clicking the thumbs down button.
You can also elect to view nothing but sites of a particular category. Clicking the photo button then "stumble" will only present sites with photos on them. This has been the single best presenter of new internet sites I have found. Better then Digg, as the sites and stories appearing on the list are mostly things already in the view of mass media (with a few exceptions).

My newest love is most definitely WeFeelFine. A little heavy on the visuals (a downer for those with slow connections) WFF collects information culled from blogs based on the the words or descriptions following the phrase "I feel..." or "I am feeling...". WFF then sorts it all out into one of six interfaces that allows to further distilling of the text. I found the interface and the implications simply brilliant.

Give it a whirl.

-nn

No comments: